Aside from forcing all of us indoors, the COVID-19 pandemic also made it necessary to re-think how and where we gather. Whether it’s for work or play, virtual hangouts have become the norm for many of us over the last two years, making everything from board meetings to family reunions both possible and safe.
Fortunately, it hasn’t taken long for technology to catch up with our social reality. This is good news for anyone looking for a fun way to bring a little pep to their next virtual hangout. The days of lackluster Zoom parties are gone. Teamflow has the perfect virtual office and hangout space, so continue reading to learn more about our 12 exciting and unique ideas for virtual hangs in 2022.
Games have been a staple of many of our most treasured in-person gatherings since time immemorial, so it’s good to see that many of them have successfully made the leap from in-person at the dining room table to social distancing on a laptop screen.
Virtual takes on these classic games are a perfect way to enliven your next virtual hangout.
#1 Virtual Pictionary
The visual aspect of Pictionary makes it the perfect game for the Zoom screen. Here are some options for bringing your artistic skills into the virtual world:
- Keep it simple – Have each participant use their own whiteboard or drawing paper when it’s their turn, positioned toward their camera.
- Find online options – Use a “digital whiteboard” for drawing. Some video chat services have this option built-in, but you can also download an app.
#2 Virtual Charades
Versions of Charades date back to the 18th century, but this game can be just as much fun in the 21st. To get started, use an online random word generator to come up with topics. Then, when it’s their turn, send the topics to each player privately via direct message.
#3 Virtual Bingo
Until the bingo hall is safe again, why not enjoy the thrill of this game of chance and strategy virtually? Don’t worry if you don’t have the equipment—bingo cards are easy to find in stores, or you can print your own off the internet. Plus, online bingo callers mean you don’t even need bingo balls and a cage.
Get creative when it comes to your bingo prizes. Electronic gift cards are perfect way to go.
#4 Virtual Trivia Night
Find out who among you is the smartest—or at least who knows the most stuff. The internet saves the day again with a host of online generators for trivia questions (and answers). All you have to do is:
- Divide into teams
- Share a screen
- Start guessing
Games are a great idea when you want to kick back and enjoy a low-key virtual hang. But sometimes, what you want from a hangout is to let loose.
Want to turn your broadband connection into a party line? Here are ways how.
#5 Virtual Dance Party
What’s a party without dancing? Choose the friend who has the least-embarrassing Spotify Wrapped to act as DJ, or have everyone contribute to a group playlist beforehand. Then, turn on your cameras, press play, and just dance.
Teamflow can make it even easier to get your dance party started. When you host your virtual event with Teamflow, you can simply integrate apps like Spotify so that you can dance all night long.
#6 Virtual Theme Party
These days, we could all use a little escape. Take your virtual hang to the next level with a virtual luau, 90s-themed party, or Gatsby-inspired soiree.
Set your party in the future with a space-age theme or go for something medieval—the options are endless and completely up to you.
#7 Virtual Costume Party
Now more than ever, people are looking for any excuse to get out of those work-from-home sweatpants. Give your virtual guests a reason to get gussied up by hosting a virtual costume party.
Consider giving your costume party a theme, like:
- Iconic movie characters
- Iconic literary characters
- Famous people
Alternatively, you can keep it general and see what your guests come up with. You can encourage their creativity by having a costume contest and giving out prizes for best dressed.
#8 Virtual Cocktail Party
The tinkle of ice cubes against glass, the sound of music in the background, the great drinks, and the even better conversation—who doesn’t love a classy cocktail party?
All it takes is a little bit of planning to host your own swanky virtual cocktail party. Here’s how:
- Make a menu – Choose a few of your favorite cocktails or recipes you’ve always wanted to try. Share the menu (along with recipes) with your guests beforehand—they’ll need to do their own bartending. Be sure to let them know what kind of glasses to serve in!
- Be intentional – For an in-person cocktail party, you’d think about things like music, lighting, and what your home looks like. Bring that same energy to your virtual house party. Select music that sets the mood and decorates your hangout space to match the vibe.
- Have a dress code – Dress up for your virtual cocktail party, and encourage your guests to do the same. Cocktail dresses, suit jackets, and ties might be associated with going out, but they can enliven things when you’re staying in, too.
If you are looking for additional virtual party ideas, you could also host a virtual happy hour with icebreakers or team-building activities.
Are you looking for a fun idea for your virtual hangout that is a little more specific? The truth is, there are very few real-life events that you can’t transfer to the virtual realm. What are your interests? What do you enjoy? Get creative about ways to bring those activities online.
In the meantime, here are some popular virtual hangout ideas to ensure a good time:
#9 Virtual Book Club
They take planning, commitment, and follow-through, but for bibliophiles, virtual book clubs are an excellent way to spend a virtual evening. Here’s how to get your own virtual book club off the ground:
- Make a guest list – Choose your most bookish friends and gauge their interest level. You don’t need a ton of guests—just make sure you invite enough people to make a lively and interesting discussion possible.
- Choose a book – As the host, book choice is up to you. Choose something that you think will appeal to everyone on your guest list and make for a good discussion, or suggest a few titles and have your club members cast votes for the book they’d like to read.
- Set a date – Pick a date for the club to meet. Make sure the date is far enough out that everyone has time to read the book.
- Prepare discussion questions – Long silences and awkward pauses can be hallmarks of even the most brainy book clubs. You can avoid that by preparing a list of discussion questions and distributing them to your guests before you meet.
For even more literary fun, you can use the book you’re reading as the theme for your virtual hang. Encourage guests to attend dressed as their favorite character from the book, or create a cocktail list themed to the book you’re reading.
#10 Virtual Movie Night
Rather wait for the movie? Not to worry—virtual movie clubs are another great way to gather with your friends safely.
Several apps and online services make it easy for you and your friends to watch the same movie together, so you don’t have to worry about synchronizing start times or dealing with delays. Just pick a service you like, a flick you want to see, and get the viewing party started.
You can’t really enjoy a movie without popcorn and candy, so be sure to have lots of both on deck. Consider making snack packs to send to your guests to make it feel like you’re all together.
#11 Virtual Wine Tasting
Want to experience the thrill of the vineyard virtually? Consider hosting a virtual wine tasting. They’ve become a popular way of gathering online over the past two years.
You don’t have to be a wine connoisseur to host a virtual wine tasting. Choose a few wines you like—between three and five should do it—and do a little research so you have talking points. You can provide your guests with a list so they can buy the bottles themselves, or you can have your selections delivered to them.
#12 Virtual Psychics
Visiting a psychic can be fun, thrilling, and even revealing, no matter how deeply you believe in the paranormal (or not). Why not thrill your friends with a magical evening of virtual mysticism?
There are many websites that let you book a psychic for your virtual event—and there’s a good chance they’ll be expecting you. You can also reach out to a local option and see if they’d be willing to participate.
Some ideas for a magical night include:
- Virtual tarot readings and workshops
- Virtual fortune telling
- Virtual past life parties
Teamflow: Your Event, Your Space
What’s the best idea for hanging out virtually in 2022? Hosting your virtual event with Teamflow. We’re making virtual connections easier and more exciting than ever, with:
- App integration – From Spotify to Google Play, your favorite apps integrate with Teamflow seamlessly.
- Customizable spaces – Our virtual event spaces are fully customizable, giving you the freedom to craft every detail of the event you want to host.
- Spatial audio – Our innovative spatial audio lets you and your guests mix, mingle and start their own conversations—just like in real life.
And that’s just the start. Ready to make all your virtual events feel more like the real world? Get started with Teamflow.
Reviewed by James O'Sullivan, Director of New Client Experience
Jamess O'Sullivan has over 20 years of experience building and scaling companies. With diverse experience under his belt spanning everything from CareerBuilder.com to Uber, James is a well-respected thought leader, eccentric, and boundary-pusher who regularly contributes to industry-leading publications such as Entrepreneur Magazine.
1. Apqc.org. How to Play Remote Pictionary. https://www.apqc.org/blog/how-play-remote-pictionary
2. Familyeducation.com. Charades. https://www.familyeducation.com/fun/party-games/family-games-charades-0#:~:text=Charades%20is%20believed%20to%20have,in%20prose%20or%20in%20rhyme.&text=Charades%20is%20often%20played%20as,dinner%20entertainment%20at%20adult%20parties.
3. Stylecaster.com. 64 Theme Party Ideas From Actual Party Planners. https://stylecaster.com/101-theme-party-ideas/#slide-14
4. Purewow.com. 9 Ways To Watch Movies Together Online. https://www.purewow.com/entertainment/watch-movies-together-online